Day Respite Changing Lives
Bisdee House is a fun vibrant centre for over 65’s providing socialisation and activities in a supervised environment that doesn’t feel like respite. Having a centre that people love to attend and look forward to as a social event in their own week makes the respite decision much easier for carers.
Bisdee House is open for you to access from 8am-8pm Monday to Saturday (including public holidays) and hours are fully flexible to cater to individual carer needs.
Bisdee House opened in 2008 as a support service for carers assisting and enabling older people to remain living at home. What we have discovered (through experience, feedback and research) is that older people themselves love coming to Bisdee and they receive significant and diverse benefits from the experience.
Incorporated in the respite service Bisdee House offers the following
programs and opportunities
• Short and long stay day respite
• Overnight respite for planned or unexpected events in one of our comfortable en suite rooms
NOW AVAILABLE AT GREATLY REDUCED RATES!
• Men’s Shed 10am – 2pm Monday to Friday.
• Quiet spaces to relax or do your own thing
• Exciting range of daily club programs 10am – 2pm
• Events and outings
• All meals and morning/afternoon teas
Ask about our brand new services!
• In home respite - for people for whom accessing the centre is difficult or problematic, we can now come to you when you need us.
Accessing appointments – we can now accompany people to health care and medical appointments from home or the centre, further reducing the burden on carers time.
A uniquely male environment where men can begin or continue to participate in workshop crafts and activities with trained staff in attendance.
Members have a wide range of interests, skills and abilities and enjoy participating in the many projects available which include:
• Mold making and casting for plaster and concrete ornaments and painting the finished product
• Scroll saw work and toy making, including trains and dolls houses
• Furniture restoration and French polishing
• Specialty items – scale model yachts and dinghies
The Shed has recently acquired a new wood lathe (a generous donation from a member’s family) and the men are enthusiastically learning new skills in wood turning and are looking forward to making pens, bowls, rolling pins, egg cups, stools, table legs etc.
More about us
Bisdee is a large day respite centre located in the same grounds as Glenview but is stand-alone and can be accessed by carers and care recipients separately from the facility. Bisdee includes a variety of lounge/activity rooms, library/poolroom, kitchens, large assist bathroom and disability toilets, individual bedrooms with ensuites for day rests or overnight stays and an easy access car park.
We also have a secure dementia specific are with separate activity areas, bedrooms and a secure outdoor area that includes safe walkways, patios and raised gardens.
Extensions of hours can be easily negotiated, particularly in the event of an emergency or the unplanned or spontaneous activity of a carer.
All meals are provided as are all centre-based activities within the daily fee of $9 per four-hour session or $22 per day, up to a capped maximum of $60 per week.
Glenview understands the needs of carers and the desires of people to remain living in their own homes for all of their lives. Bisdee House is helping to make this possible for many carers and care recipients with affordable and meaningful quality services when and how carers need them.
- supports working carers to continue in employment
- supports frail aged carers to care for their life partners
- allows families the time they need away from the pressures and fatigue of 24/7 caring responsibilities
- provides stimulating and enjoyable respite which does not feel like ‘respite’ to care recipients but is a valued and meaningful part of their lives
- reduces the inappropriate and/or early admission to residential aged care facilities of those people who want to remain living at home
- Provides the support structure to enable carers the opportunity to make spontaneous decisions knowing respite assistance is only a phone call away
See our home page for the current monthly calendar of activities