History and recent developments
Glenview has been a landmark in Glenorchy for more than 100 years. The original house, Glenview, was built in the 1880s and the three Norfolk Island pines, which are today the Glenview Home logo, were planted in the 1890s. Glenview Home for Aged Persons opened in 1948 when it was purchased by the Church of England for 4,000 pounds.
Glenview has grown and prospered since that time. There are currently 125 people living at Glenview, including high and low care nursing home residents and residents in the Glenview Close Independent Living Units. Glenview Outreach supports 81 aged clients living in the Glenorchy community. The Banksia and Night Owls services provide recreational and social support to more than 50 people, living in the Glenorchy area, each week.
Glenview is a fully accredited Home and has taken on the challenges of providing a diverse and complete range of aged care services.
As part of our building program, we have recently completed construction of an Internet Café for residents. In partnership with Cosgrove High School, many residents have been learning the joys, and frustrations, of computers and learning about the World Wide Web and all that it provides.
A walking track has been designed throughout the 2.5 hectare site so residents and families can walk through beautiful gardens and courtyards and stop and rest at some of the many garden seats along the way.
In the 'History of Glenorchy 1804-1964' by Alison Alexander, published as part of the Centenary of Federation, Alexander writes that in 1948 the Glenview Home for Aged Persons "...took in men and women without distinction of class or creed, and fees were adjusted according to means." For all that has changed at Glenview over the last fifty-four years, the compassionate and caring ethos has remained the same.